The most common question I get asked is “How do you afford to travel so often?”
Whether you do it often or not, everyone loves to travel, right? If you said no… then I simply don’t understand you (but it’s cool)! I truly believe that traveling is an important part of human growth. However, the biggest thing that holds people back from traveling is money. I am going to give you 10 easy ways to make travel more affordable!
10 ways to save money for traveling
- Pick one: possessions or experiences? I am not the best role model for this one, but theoretically, if you stop buying so much stuff, you would have a lot of money leftover for going places and doing things.
- Be flexible with dates: Take the time to compare different dates and time periods in order to get the best deal possible. Often prices will change tremendously just by changing your dates by a few days.
- Use websites that reward you: Always try to book through sites that lets you build points or earn nights towards getting discounts or free nights. Places like Hotels.com will give you a free night after you book and stay a certain amount of nights.
- Talk to a travel agent: BUT always do your own research first. Travel agents usually can get you the best deal. However, don’t go in blindly and just go with what they say (especially if you’re worried about money). Quote what you want to do yourself first, then compare what you found with what they find!
- Make a pact not to give gifts: If you are traveling with your spouse or close family members, make a pact between yourselves not to buy each other gifts on certain holidays. This would allow you to spend the money that you would have spent of gifts on a trip or saving for a big trip.
- Set up an auto-draft into a special savings account: The easiest way to save for anything is to never let yourself think you had the money in the first place. Set up an auto-draft that moves a certain amount of money (even if it is a very small amount) into a special savings account just for travel. This helps you not be tempted to use the money unless it is a real emergency.
- Count your loose change: Am I the only one that still keeps loose change in a glass jar until I’ve racked up a ton of it? Count it out, put it in a baggie, take it to the bank, and get cash! My mom works at a bank, so I have been doing this my entire life! I promise it adds up!
- Get a travel rewards credit card: If you are really serious about traveling, then getting a travel rewards credit card could be smart! I have the one through Bank of America. I earn points on all of my purchases, everyday, and can redeem them for the most bang for my buck as a statement credit on travel related expenses. Also, it comes with access to the Bank of America “Travel Center” where I can book hotels and flights and earn 3x the points. I almost always book my flights through this method!
- Travel with friends: Splitting the costs of hotel rooms between more people makes the cost per person go down tremendously.
- Use cash back apps: There are a ton of apps out there to help you save money or get money back. Ibotta, Shopkick, Groupon, Sweatcoin, and Honey (just to name a few)!
How do you save for travel? and Where are you going next? Let me know!!
Previous post: Travel Diary: Nashville