So, What is a Winter Capsule Wardrobe?
A Winter Capsule Wardrobe (or any other season for that matter) is a small collection of your entire wardrobe’s best and most versatile pieces. These are the pieces that you literally could not live without. The idea is: if you have a smaller wardrobe that you truly love then getting dressed, shopping to add to it, and mixing and matching those pieces should be much easier.
How having a Winter Capsule Wardrobe helps you:
- You spend less time looking for something to wear (because you have less to look through)
- You spend less money on clothes, or at least don’t buy things that don’t go with anything in your closet – because you know what you have and what you own
- You are more organized
- You can mix and match the pieces in your capsule to make more outfits
How to Create & Implement Your Own Winter Capsule Wardrobe:
I have been wanting to play with the idea of a Capsule Wardrobe for some time now. I finally set aside a few hours this weekend to make it happen, and I am SO glad that I did! In this post, I am specifically creating a winter capsule wardrobe. I will repeat the same process when spring arrives.
As you might notice in the photos, I bought a free-standing rail to use and create my capsule on, and I am keeping this rail in my office/closet room. Now, I understand that not everyone will have that kind of space available. So you can easily do this in your normal closet if needed; it also gives you a good excuse to do a closet clean out and get rid of things that you know you will never wear.
Things to note before you get started:
- You need to set aside at least an hour or two to truly commit to this.
- Not only are you creating your winter capsule wardrobe… but you should also be getting rid of things that you know you will never wear again.
- Be serious and real with yourself through this process.
- I am NOT saying that the only clothes you should own are the clothes in your capsule. I’m simply suggesting that you should keep special occasion pieces, specialty pieces, off-season pieces, etc. in a separate location or section of your closet.
Take everything out of your closet and spread everything out on your bed, chairs, or whatever space you have.
Pick up each piece individually. Truly analyze and ask yourself… When is the last time I wore this? Is it flattering on me? Does it go with other things that I own? Do I really love this piece?
ONLY put it back in your closet if you answered yes to most of those questions. If it is a special occasion piece or a not commonly worn piece (but you still love it) or an off-season piece, then put it in a separate section or location. If it is a versatile, commonly worn piece, then put it into your capsule location.
Repeat this process with each piece that you own. Hopefully, you will (1) get rid of un-used or un-loved items and (2) you will likely find that most of your winter wardrobe capsule consists of similar colors and styles that can be mixed and matched to create new outfits that you love and wear often.
I didn’t include shoes or jewelry in my capsule. If you would like to see me go through each piece of my capsule, I videoed it here. Also, you can shop the outfit I’m wearing here.
Thanks so much for reading about my Winter Capsule Wardrobe. If you’re new to my blog, I’d love for you to follow me on Instagram and FB to keep up with all of my style tips, life updates, and travel adventures. My 2019 travel schedule will be starting up in February, and it’s going to be a crazy year!
Previous Post: Ultimate Wine Weekend
Until next time
2 thoughts on “How to Make your Wardrobe go Further”
I love this idea! It’s brilliant 💖 Like you said, it will save so much time and money! It’ll also hopefully save space too if you’re getting rid of soke clothes. I don’t have a lot of closet space now but when I do, I’ll definitely implement this. Great post xx
Taiwo | https://www.alifestylenerd.wordpress.com
Thanks so much for reading ❤️ Glad it helped! Xo Katie