Small Town Travel Series: Things to do in Marion, VA
Marion, Va is a tiny town located in Smyth County Virginia. However, small towns aren’t what they once were. Marion may be small, but the businesses downtown are thriving. Known as “America’s Coolest Hometown,” this adorable town in Southwestern Virginia is certainly worth a short getaway! So here are the best things to do in Marion, VA:
Things to do in Marion, VA
- Check-in to the General Francis Marion Hotel
- Explore Downtown Marion
- Hesters General Store and Fudgery – incredible homemade fudge
- Just Believe Boutique – great boutique clothing
- Sisters Cafe & Gifts – excellent coffee shop
- Downtown Boutique – great boutique clothing
- & Many More!
- Lunch at Macado’s
- Tasting at Davis Valley Distillery (try the bloody mary… even if you don’t normally like them!!!)
- Explore Hungry Mother State Park (ziplining and beach access available)
- Refresh at Hotel
- Dinner at The Speakeasy (inside of the General Francis Marion Hotel)
- Possibly a show at The Lincoln Theater
The General Francis Marion Hotel is the perfect mix of boutique and historic. With the most ideal downtown location, it is literally the best option in town. The lobby area is absolutely gorgeous and the public balcony overlooking the main street is the perfect location to unwind after a day of exploring! The rooms are cozy and have all the essentials that you need for a small-town trip. And be sure to check out the historic “card room” for a nightcap!
Dinner at The Speakeasy
I adore restaurants with excellent in-house dining, and The Speakeasy at the General Francis Marion Hotel was no exception! And even still, I’d recommend The Speakeasy even if you don’t end up staying at the General Francis Marion Hotel. The staff was fabulous, and even more – so was the food.
- Truffled Parmesan Fries – French fries tossed in truffle oil and parmesan cheese
- Herb Roasted Chicken – Old Rich Valley Farm chicken breast, grilled vegetable quinoa, roasted grape, and goat cheese tzatziki
- Grilled Cheese – Sourdough bread, pimento cheese, crisp gala apples, candied bacon, french fries
Even though I only stayed in Marion one night, I actually made my trip into a 3-night getaway which included Marion, Bristol, and Abingdon. I will be sharing more information about each individual location throughout the rest of this month, so stay tuned for that if you have an interest in exploring more of Southwestern Va.
Thanks for reading the first post of my small town travel series, featuring things to do in Marion, VA. I’d love for you to follow me on Instagram and/or Facebook to stay up-to-date on my new articles and to get to know me a bit better. I’d love to chat if you have any questions, so don’t hesitate to message me!
Thank you to Smyth County Tourism for sponsoring this post!
Previous Post: Napa Valley
Until next time,